Country of residence:

The Netherlands
Holiday Visa

Please give your vote for this product:

4.38 out of 5 based on
172 vote(s).

The Netherlands Working Holiday Visa


The Working Holiday Scheme between Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the Netherlands enables young people to combine holiday and work in each other's countries. The Scheme is open to people aged between 18 and 30 and allows them to visit the Netherlands for a maximum of one year. They may do temporary work to finance their holiday in the Netherlands.

There are a couple of ways you could apply for this Working Holiday Visa.

First option:
You go to the Netherlands and you enter the country. You don’t need a visa to enter the Netherlands. In order to avail of the rights the Working Holiday Scheme grants you, you will need to apply for a residence permit. You have to apply for the residence permit with the Immigration Service ( within three days of your arrival in the country. The application fee is €42.

In order to apply you have to meet these three requirements:
  • Be between 18 and 30 years of age
  • You have to either have a return ticket and a proof that you have enough money to purchase one
  • You need to have a residence address in the Netherlands

Once your documents are with the IND, you will get a stick in your passport, as confirmation that you applied for the residence permit. This sticker will allow you to work while your application is processed, which usually takes a couple of weeks. The IND will post you with their decision. That is the quickest way to get the residence permit.

Second option:
If you wish you may apply for the residence permit while still in your home country.
  • The application and required documents are submitted to the nearest Netherlands consulate section.
  • The application fee is still €42
  • Your application will go to IND in the Netherlands
  • If your application is successful you will be asked to post your passport to the Netherlands embassy/consulate for the provisional residence permit sticker.
  • Upon arrival in the Netherlands you need to visit an IND office to get the actual residence permit

This is obviously the more time consuming procedure, so it is better that you stick with the first option and head directly for the Netherlands.